Places to visit in Trichy District Tourist Places List Tamil Nadu
Trichy District is the fourth largest city in Tamil Nadu. It is located on the banks of river Cauvery. Another name of Trichy is called us Tiruchirappalli or (Trichinopoly) or Tiruchi. This city has numerous temples and monuments. It is an important tourist destination in Tamilnadu.
About Trichy City in English
It is situated in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. The Legislative Assembly represents Tiruchirappalli has 9 elected members. It has 9 taluks. They are Srirangam, Manapparai, Musiri, Manachannallur, Lalgudi, Thiruverumbur Thuraiyur, Thirchy East and Tiruchirapali West are the constituencies.
Tiruchirappali District is an important educational centre in Tamil Nadu India. This city has nationally recognized institutions such as National Institutes of Technology (NIT), Indian Institutes of Management (IIM) National Law Universities (NLU), and Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIIT) Srirangam.
Tiruchirapalli District in English
Tiruchirapalli District is considered as best livable city. It is the best cleanest city of Tamil Nadu. This city is the fifth safest city for women in India.
Visit Tiruchirappalli District has beautiful church, mosques and missions dating back to 1760. This trading city has fine infrastructural facilities. Modern Tiruchirappali is developed around the Rock Fort and it is a commercial city as well as pilgrim centre. It has well connected roads and Railways to all the important cities in our country. Tiruchirapali airport has flights to Chennai, Sharjah, Kuwait, Singapore, Malaysia and Colombo etc.
A legend tells that Trishira the step brother of Ravana did penance here to please Lord Shiva, and accordingly, this place came to be called as Trisirapally. Another story relates that Shiva, Parvati and Vinayaka took abode on the three rocks on the nearby hill, and as such, the name was given as Thrishkaragam. However, the city and the area possess not only the heritage of antiquity but also abundant places of historical and archaeological interest.
The major engineering equipment manufacturing and fabrication hub is in Tiruchirapali Tamil Nadu India. The Golden Rock Railway Workshop is moved from Nagapattinam to Tiruchirappalli in 1928. This is one of three major workshop cum production unit in Tamil Nadu. This workshop produced lot of conventional and low-container flat wagons. The city has multicultural society with a sizeable presence of English, Telugu, Hindi and Malayalam speaking in population. The city projects a calm outlook and is considered to be friendly with tourists.
Tiruchirappali District is popular for its hospitality and features a lot of accommodations. Hotels are a necessary adjacent for a comfortable and memorable stay. Best time to visit Tiruchi is all over the year. Area of Tiruchirapali is about 5,114 sq.km.
Thiruchi District Mayor : Thiru M. Anbazhagan
Tiruchirappalli Deputy Mayor : G. Dhivya
Tiruchirapali district is bounded by Thanjavur and Perambalur districts in the east, Salem Perambalur districts in the north, Namakkal district in the west and Dindigul Madurai districts in the south.
Tiruchirappalli is one of the oldest inhabited cities in Tamil Nadu, India. The earlier settlements of Tiruchirapali is date back to 2nd century BC. Uraiyur was the capital of Early Cholas from 600 year to 3rd century BC. Which was the capital of Sangam era Chola kings like Nedungilli, Karikalan, Kopperunjolan, etc. This city is referred to as Orthoura by the Historian Ptolomy in his 2nd century.
Woraiyur was known as 'Kozhiyur' during the Sangam period. During the Sangam period, it became a great business center. The excavations conducted here reveal the antiquity and cultural pride of this town. Excavations reveal the trade relationship between Woraiyur and Rome. Varieties of dye pots and pots of Rome have been found in the research conducted here. Excavations suggest that Woraiyur must have been a city known for its industries such as weaving and dyeing of clothes at that time. It is believed that Woraiyur may have been destroyed by a great flood around 10th century AD. Woraiyur, which was a great commercial center during the Sangam period, is famous for handloom sarees even today.
The rule of the Chola kings of the Sangam period was endless due to the arrival of the Kalapirargal. During the reign of the Pallava king Mahendravarman I (600 - 630 AD), Tiruchirappalli was the southern border of the Pallava kingdom. Mahendravarman carved the Thiruchirappalli hill and built the Cave temples on top of the hill. From 650 to 860 AD under the Pallava Empire.
The Muthireyar ruled Thiruchirappalli and Thanjavur Pudukottai regions. They ruled with Sentala as their capital. Chandan Maran, Kuvavan Maran, Kuvavanj Chatan, Suvaran Maran, Chatham Bhuthi, Palieeli are some of the notable Mudrayar leaders. The younger generation of the Muthireyar ruled from the center of Malayadipatti. With the rise of the Tanjore Chola king named Vijayalayan, the rule of the Muthireyar came to an end and Thiruchirappalli came under the rule of the Tanjore Cholas.
Thiruchirappalli and Tanjore were ruled by the Cholas from the ninth century AD to the 12th century. After the fall of the Cholas of Tanjore, Thiruchirappalli came under the rule of the Pandya kings. In the 13th century AD, the Vaisala king Veera Someswaran ruled with Kannanoor as his capital. Kannanur is called Samayapuram area near present day Thiruchirappalli city. After the fall of Pandya, the region came under the dominion of Madurai Sultanate.
Tiruchi was under the Mughal rule, which was put to an end by the Vijayanagar Empire. The Vijayanagar Empire of Hampi ruled over the city after the fall of Mugal. The forces of Deccan Sultan defeated Vijayanagar Emperors in 1565.
Following the success of Kumarakampanna's invasion of Madurai (1371 AD), Tiruchi and other areas came under the rule of the Vijayanagara government. When the Madurai Nayaka government was established by Vishwanatha, the Thiruchirappalli region was under the rule of this government. During Nayak's rule, Thiruchirappalli city was greatly developed. Muthuveerapar, a descendant of Viswanadha, shifted his capital from Madurai to Thiruchirappalli in 1616 AD. After the death of the Vijayanagara king Venkatanan II, there was a contest to succeed him. In this contest, a war broke out near Thiruchirappalli between one faction led by Yachama Nayak and another led by Jakarayar. This battle is known as the Battle of Dhoppur. This battle took place in 1616 AD. (The battle took place three kilometers away from the rally on the south bank of the Cauvery) Yachama Nayak was supported by Tanjore Nayak Raghunatha, Madurai Nayak Muthuweerappa and Senchi Nayak supported Jakkarayar. Zakarayar, who was supported by Muthu Veerappar, did not win in this race.
Vishwanath, who founded the Nayaka kingdom of Madurai, built forts for the defense of the city. The Rock fort may have been further strengthened when the Madurai Nayakar Muthuveerapar shifted his capital to Trichi (1616).
Tirumala King (1623 - 1659 AD) shifted the capital of the Madurai Nayaka kingdom from Thiruchirappalli back to Madurai. Tirumala's grandson Chokanathan (bp 1659 – 1682) shifted his capital back to Thiruchirappalli in 1665 AD. Viswanatha Nayakar built this great fort during the 16th century.
During the early period of Sokkanatha's reign (1659 – 1682) Lingama Nayaka laid siege to Trichi kottai with the help of Shaji of Senji. But Chokkanatha freed Thirchy from this siege. Bijapur sultan has attacked this fort in 1660 to 1675.
In 1665 AD Sokkanatha shifted his capital from Madurai to Tiruchirapalli. Tiruchirapalli Fort was besieged by Mysore forces in 1680 AD. Kumaraiah was the commander of the Mysore forces. With the help of Sokkanatha, Ramanathapuram Sethupathi and the Marathas he defeated the forces from Tiruchirapali. From 1665 to 1736 AD Tiruchirapali was the capital of the Madurai Nayaka kingdom.
The Nayaks, The Governors of Vijayanagar Empire, ruled this area till the 1736AD. Then the city passed in to the hands of Nayaks of Madurai. They built the Rock Fort, the icon of Tiruchi. Teppakulam and the fort was built by Viswanatha nayak. This Nayak dynasty came to an end during the days of Meenakshi. The Muslims ruled this region again with the aid of either the French or the English armies for some years. It was under the rule of Chandra Sahib and Mohamed Ali. It was also ruled by the Marathas, the Nawabs of Carnatic, the French and finally by the British. The Rock Fort played an important role in the 18th century Carnatic wars.
He built a mansion in Thiruchirappalli and beautified the city of Thiruchirappalli. Thiruchirappalli was the Madurai Nayak capital from the reign of Sokkanatha till the end of the Madurai Nayak kingdom (1736 AD). After the Nayak rule, Thiruchirappalli came under the authority of Nawab of Arcot. Thiruchirappalli was under Maratha rule from 1741 to 1743 AD due to Maratha conquest. Murari Rao was appointed as the Maratha Governor of Thiruchirappalli.
In 1743 AD Nizam Asap Shah of Hyderabad defeated the Marathas and captured Thiruchirappalli. The Nizam appointed Khwaja Abdullah to oversee the administration of the region. After his death (1744) Thiruchirappalli came under the rule of Nawab Anwaruddin of Arcot. After Anwaruddin's death (1749) there was competition between Anwaruddin's son Muhammadali and Chanda Saqib for the post of Nawab of Arcot. During this competitive period, the Carnatic Wars took place. During the Carnatic wars, Thiruchirappalli was subjected to several attacks.
But he has not captured the fort. Hyderabad Nizam has conquered Tiruchi in 1743 at that time Maratha's lost this city. Thiruchirappali was in the hands of Arcot Nawab upto 1807. After that British captured it. This fort attacked by French in Carnatic war. French Soldiers battled it during the period of 1757 to 1759. Tiruchirapalli was an important war field for britishers. Robert Clive planned and take important decesions from Tiruchirappali. It was an nuclear place for them to won lot of battles in Carnatic wars. Finally the English brought Tiruchirappalli and other areas under their control this district was then under the hegemony of British for about 150 years till the independent of India.
After the Nawab of Arcot, Thiruchirappalli came under British rule. Thiruchirappalli today is the headquarters of Trichy district. Thiruchirappalli Nagar became a municipality in 1866.
Thiruchirappalli is the fourth largest city in Tamil Nadu by population, and three cities (Chennai, Madurai, Coimbatore) The population of Thiruchirappalli in 1901 AD was 1,04,721. The population of the city in 1981 (including urban areas) was 6,07,815.
Sightseeing Places List
It has a lot of enthusiastic, cultural and architectural Heritage places. Tiruchi Tourist Places are Rock Fort, Grand Anaicut, Samayapuram Mari Amman Koil, Srirangam Renganathar Temple, Thiruvanaikkaval Jambukeshwarar Temple, Kumaravayalur Murugan Koil and Mukkombu etc. Tiruchirappalli is alo noted for its beautiful churches, mosques and missions dating back to 1760. The trading city with fine infra-structural facilities is a good base to explore the central Tamil Nadu. This city is dominated by the granite rock soaring 84metres in to the skyline. These are the important sightseeing in Tamil Nadu.
Trichy Tourist Places List
Tiruchirappalli Rock Fort Or Malaikottai Or Uacchi Pillayar Koil
Rock Fort is the important Land Mark in Tiruchi District. The name rockfort comes from the fact that the place was used for military fortification first by the Vijayanagar emperors. Uacchi pillayar Koil is a combination of two famous 7th century Hindu temples. One temple is dedicated to Lord Ganesh and the other Koil is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Lord Ganesh Temple is located at the top of a small rock. It is about 84m (237 feet) high rock that is the only out crop of in the flat land of the city. Geologically the 83m high rock is said to be one of the oldest in the world. It is said that the hill is about four hundred million years old. The main attraction of the rock fort is the Uchi Pillaiyar Koil perched at the top of the rock. Uacchi Pillayar Koil is dedicated to lord Vinayaka or Ganesh. We can reach it through a flight of 344 steps. The Ganesha temple is much smaller with an access through steep steps. A panoramic view of the city and Srirangam Temple can be enjoyed from here. We can see the rock cut cave temples built during the pallava regime on the southern surface of the rock. The caves have lot of beautiful sculptures. This cave Koil belongs to the pallava period and Pallava king Mahendra Varman built this cave temple with the beautiful carving Gangadhara. The winding river and temples of Srirangam and Thiruvanai Kaval can be seen from the northern side. Rock Fort is one of the important places to visit in Thiruchy District.
Rock fort is in historical importance where Uchippillaiyar Temple and Thayumanavar Temple are located.
Myth logically this rock is the place where Lord Ganesha ran from king Vibishana, after establishing the Ranganathaswamy deity in Srirangam. Thiruchi Rock Fort is about 5.2km from Central Bus Stand.
Sri Thayumanaswamy Temple in Rock Fort Tiruchirappalli Tamil Nadu
God: Mathrubhudeswarar, Thayumaneswarar
Goddess: Mattwarkuzali, Sundarakunthalambikai
Sri Thayumanaswamy or Mathrubutheswarar Temple is on the half way of the Uchipillaiyar Koil in the Rock Fort. This Koil is dedicated to Lord Siva. The Shivan Koil is a greater one. It houses a massive stone statue of Shiva in the form of Linga along with a separate sanctum for Goddess Parvathi. It has 100-pillared hall and a Gold Plated Vimana. Out of the western reef of the rock, there rises a magnificent temple inside which are grand shrines for Shiva dedicated to Malai Koluna Eswarar or Mathrubhuteshwarar, popularly known as Arulagiri Thayumanuswamy and his consort, Aruliga Mattuvarkuzhalamba. There is a hundred pillar hall having a gold plated dome. The summit has a Koil dedicated to Vinayaka commonly called as Uchi Pillaiyar. A top of the rock gives a panoramic view of the township. On the southern face of the rock are several beautifully carved rock-cut cave temples of the Pallava period. The imposing rock dominates the skyline of the city and with its fort and shrines, it is a great attraction. At the foot of the rock is the Teepakulam, a large masonry tank with a small and graceful Mandapam in the centre said to have been constructed by Vishwanath Nayak. This Koil is maintained by the Archaeological Department of India.
There are two Pallava Cave temple below the Shiva temple. It has beautiful sculptures of the 6th and 7th centuries. The Rock fort has a tank and a pavilion at the foot of it. They are used during the float festival of the temples. The tank nearer is house, where Robert Clive lived.
The fine sculptures and bronzes of various periods are the attractive items of this museum. It is open all days except Monday and Government Holidays.
Butterfly Park in Tirchi Tamilnadu
Butterfly Park is about 5km from Srirangam in Melur village and 15.5km from Tiruchi Central Bus Stand. The area of the park is about 35 acres. This park lies between the river Cauvery and Kollidam. This park has a beautiful garden and it is a good entertaining park for children to play. Boat riding for children is also available here. A wonderful fountains, artificial waterfalls, and hanging bridge are also here. Small bamboo huts are here for visitors to take rest. We can see exciting flowers and colourful butterflies in this park. This park has Natshatra Vanam there we can see tree and plants for 27 stars (rasi). A huge glasshouse for butterfly is also here. We can see fish and ducks in the artificial pond.
St. Joseph’s Church
This church was built in 1812. It has louvered doors which open to convert it into an airy pavilion and it is located near Theppakulam.
Woraiur was the ancient capital of the early cholas and the ancient city is believed to have been destroyed by a sand storm Pugazh Chola Nayanar and Kochenkanholan were born here as was Thiruppaanaazhwar. Woraiyur is also known as Kozhima nagaram as legend holds that a four blessed with divine powers defeated an elephant in a duel. Gochenkan cholan the builder of 78 Maadakkovils is said to have born here.
Nadirshah Mosque in Tiruchirapalli Tamil Nadu
Nadirshah Mosque is about 4km from the Tiruchirapalli Central Bus stand near the Main Guard Gate. This mosque contains the remains Nawabs Mohammed Ali and the headless body of Chanda Sahib who were the principle cause for the carnatic war. The tomb of saint Babbayya Nadir Shah attracts the devotees of all faiths in large number.
The Dharga is the important holy place for Muslims in Tiruchi. It was built before 1000 years. A famous festival ‘Urs’ is celebrated in this mosque. Devotees from lot of places visit this Dharga and they believe that the get self-satisfaction.
Government Museum is located at Rani Mangammal mandram 19, Bharathidasan road. This place is treasure house of sculptures from various places around Tiruchirappally. Bronze and stone idols exhibited here are worth seeing.
Planetarium is about 5km from Thirchy District. The Anna Science centre Planetarium is located on Pudukkotai road, near airport the daily programs are show with English and Tamil commentaries. Timings 10.30am – 1.00pm and 3.30 pm in Tamil. 11.45 am – 2.15 pm and 4.45pm in English.
Grand Annicut (Kallanai)
Kallanai is a beautiful picnic spot near Srirangam. It is about 19km from Tiruchi. Karikal Chola built Kallanai in 2nd century. This dam is about 329m long and 20m wide. It indeed is one of the greatest marvel engineering in India. It is one of the oldest dams in our world. Grand Annicut is one best places to picnic in Tirchy Tamilnadu India.
Tiruchirappali Upper Annaicut (Mukkombu)
Mukkombu is another important picnic spot near Tirchi Srirangam. It is about 18km from Tiruchirappalli District. At the head of the Srirangam Island. The length of this dam is about 685m. This dam was constructed by Sir Arthur Cotton in 1836-38 across the head of river Coleroon at the upper end of Srirangam. It is 750m long, but broken by the island into three sections. There is a beautiful guest house at the dam site which can be used by the visitors. This dam has been forced into three sections instead of one long stretch because of the shape of the island. This is also good picnic spot in Tiruchi, Tamil Nadu India.
About Trichy Temples List in Tamil Naud India
Trichy Srirangam Temple
Srirangam is about 7km from Tiruchi District. It is an island between Cauvery and Kollidam. Srirangam is one of the most important vaishnavite pilgrim centres. The main deity of this temple is Sri Renganatha Swamy is lying on his Adi Sesha (snake) couch. This lovely temple situated in the middle of the town encircled by massive ramparts with stupendous towers and broad court yards is formed as a complex by itself. In a corner of the Koil is the thousand pillared hall wherein Chanda Sahib and his friends took refuge. The Seshashayi Mandapam is remarkable for its sculptural art. This 13th century Koil has 21 towers and is surrounded by seven concentric walls within which the town is situated. It is the biggest temple complex in the country. The main tower at the entrance is so huge that it can be seen from far off places. It amazes the visitor by its huge proportions. Inside the shrine is the huge idol of Ranganatha reclining on the lap of Adishesha. The Koil is very well preserved with its beautiful sculptures and painted walls. Srirangam is connected with the city by regular bus services. Srirangam Renganathar temple is one of the important temple in Tiruchirapali
Thiruvanaikkaval or Jambukeswarar Temple in Tiruchirapalli Tamil Nadu
Thalamaram: Vennaval Tree
Jambukeswarar Temple is one of the important temple in Trichy District. Thiruvanaikkaval is about 5km from Tiruchirappali and 2km from the east of Srirangam. The main deity of this Koil is Lord Siva. The temple is named Tiru aanaikka because an elephant is believed to worship the Sivalingam with flowers and water brought in his trunk so it is called as Jambukeswarar and the Lingam is set under a Jambu tree. It is one of the panchabhoota stalams of water. This Koil has excellent architecture. The Sivalingam here is always half submerged in water and fully submerged during the monsoon. Dating back to the Chola times, the Koil has five enclosures, with a lofty tower at the main entrance, which is elaborately sculptured. The complex was built at the same time when Sri Ranganathaswam Temple was also built.
This place is one of the Pnacha Lingas, called here as Appu Linga, as the aspect associated with water. It may be noticed that the main Linga in the shrine is always covered by water which constantly flows through a spring of water. Goddess Parvati is called here as Akilandeshwari and the place is known as Upadesha Kshetram as goddess Parvati acquired the knowledge from Shiva. Another special peculiarity of this Koil is that the mid-day worship, Uchai Kala pooja is done by the priest clad with a saree in female dress.
It is history that he was worshiped as a spider in his previous birth and then born as Kochengat Chola and built roof temples for the Lord, and sage Sambu himself came and was born as a vennaval tree.
Samayapuram Temple in Thiruchy Tamil Nadu India
Samayapuram Temple is an ancient temple for the village goddess Mariamman which has grown during the last few years as a major place of pilgrimage. It is believed that the goddess has miraculous powers and would cure mental diseases of the devotees. The offerings of God is in various forms. The most common offering is the Mavilakkumavu made of jiggery, rice flour, dhal and ghee. The temple attracts thousands of devotees from places in and around Tiruchy, Tamilnadu India. Every Sunday, Tuesday and Friday thousands of devotees visit this temple and perform poojas. City bus service is available to this place. Samayapuram is about 20km from Tiruchirappali town. Samayapuram Mariramman Temple Temple is one of the important places to visit in Thiruchi District.
Samayapuram is an important pilgrim center for all village people in this region car festival and flower festival / Poorchorithal are very famous in this temple along with the festivals during Vaikasi Pancha Prahara Urchavam and Thai Poosam festival associated with the Renganathar at Srirangam. Full moon days and new moon days are very pious here.
Arulmigu Azhagiya Manavaalar Koil
Azhagiya Manavaalar Temple is situated in Urayoor Tiruchirappali Tamil Nadu. It is located in the railway lane of Tiruchirappali to Erode. This Koil is near the Naachiyar Koil. The Goddess of this tample is known as Kamalavalli Nachiyar. Kalyana Utsavam is done during the festival of Panguni utthiram. We can visit this temple at the time of 9.00 am to 12.00 and 5.00 pm to 8.30pm. Phone: 0431-2762446, 9443188716.
Uthamarkoil is located in Manachanellur. Now it is called as Pichandavarkoil. It is one of the most famous shrines in 108 vaishnavit padal sthalam. This temple is situated about 8km north of Tiruchirapali fortstation. 4km north of Srirangam railway station. Here is the temple for Lord Creator, Brahma, the lord for the wellbeing of the universe, Vishnu and destroyer of the universe Shiva take their abode. This place is also known as “Kadambavanam’ or Tirumrthishektram.
Sri Purushottama Perumal temple is on the north bank of Kollidam River. Perumal has a reclining pose at the east of Udayam. Mother Poorva Devi is housed in a separate shrine in the south prakaram. There are shrines of Lakshmi Narayanan and Rama in the western prakaram. Shrines of Varadaraja Perumal, Nammazhwar and Thirumangaiyazhwar in the north prakaram. There are separate shrines for Brahma and Saraswati here. When visiting this temple, Shiva, Thirumal and Brahma are seen in this temple, so it is called Triumurthi Thalam, Lord Brahma is sitting in this temple as a deity with Thirumal on his nabi, it is called Adimapuram, Brahmapuram and Neebhavanam because it is full of Neepa trees. When Brahmadeva came to this place to see the Tirumala, seeing that the Lord was united with the Kadamba tree, the Lord also appeared to Brahmadeva to anoint him with his kamandala tirtha. It is the place where Lord Shiva came to this place after removing the Brahmahatthi dosha and begged with Thirumal and Brahma to remove the curse. It is called Bichandar temple because of Lord Shiva's incarnation as Pitchadana Murthy.
The lord of this temple removed the problem of childlessness of a king named Satkeerthivarthanan, so that king has performed a ritual in this temple. It is customary to perform thirtham on the 5th day of Tirupalliyodam festival in Srirangam Perumal. Thousands of devotees are offering prayers to Brahma every Thursday due to the presence of this temple in Brahmakurustan.
Woraiyur was once the capital of the Cholas. The vekkali amman temple is an unique one and this temple is having no roof for the presiding deity. The reason being the Goddess here has saved the people here from the sandrain and trubulent wind showered at this place b the curse of the Lord Shiva here on the request of the pious devotee saint Sarama Munivar. She said that she will have the roofing only when all the people of this own gets he same one shrine devoted to Lord ‘Pongusani’ is warth to mention. It lies not far from Nachiyar Kovil and Panchavarneswarar temple.
Woraiyur Sri Panchavarneswarar Temple
Sri Panchavarneswarar Temple is one kilometer west of Tiruchi. This Temple Lord Panchavarneswarar, Ammai - Gandhimatiyammai, Lord Shiva showed the five colored Thirukolam to Sage Udanga five times so Lord Panchavarneswarar got the name. In this Temple Garuda, Kasipar's wife Kathuru and his son Kargodan worshiped.
Sai Baba Meditation center
The Shridi Sai Baba Temple is visited by all faithful devotees. It lies in Manikkandam 10km from Trichirappalli, Viralimalai road. The life history of Shridi Sai Baba is dedicated in paintings here.
Ragavandrar Mutt Srirangam
Ragavendra temple at Ragavendra mutt lies at Srirangam. The life of Whole saint has been displayed here by paintings.
Tiruchi Vayalur Murugan Temple
Arulmigu Subramaniya Swami Temple lies at Kumara Vayaloor. Vayalur is about 16km from Tiruchirappalli District. Popularly known as Kumara Vayalur and Adi Vayalur, this place has an ancient temple for Lord Muruga set amidst lush green vegetation. The main tower is richly ornamented with five tiers. In the front is the sacred tank created by Lord Muruga with his Vel. it is known by various name as Kumara Tirtha, Shakti Tirtha and Agni Tirtha. Inside the shrine is the idol of Muruga in a rare posture. He is shown with his twin consorts Valli and Devayani, with his hands raised like the Lord of Tirupati. There is also a Shiva Koil dedicated to Agneshwara with his consort Parvati called as Munnilai Nayaki. A peculiar feature of the tample is the Sundara Thandavam of Nataraja. He dances with both of his feet on the ground without the usual semi-ciruclar arch on the rear. Saint Arunagirinathar is said to have come to this place to sing in praise of the Lord.
The Kandar Sasti festival during October – November is celebrated in a grand manner for Lord Muruga here. The presiding deities are named as Adinathar and Adhinayaki. During all sasti (6th day from New / Full moon days) Karthigai deepam, Thaipoosam, Panguni Uthiram, Full Moon days. First day of English and Tamil New year’s thousands of devotes are visiting this temple. It is well connected by bus from Tiruchirappalli town. There is a tample choultry for the convenience of visitors and devotees.
Viralimalai Murugan Koil
Viralimalai is about 30km from Tiruchi. This place is famed for the temple of Subramanya on a small hillock situated amidst beautiful surroundings. The tample on the top dated back to the 15th century. There is also a small cave tample on the hillock called Chokkanathar Mandapam, it is said that Arunagirinathar was blessed by the deity with the powers of Ashtasiddhi. The saint sang in praise of the Lord first at Vayalur and then at Viralimalai. The main deity is the six faced Subramanya seated on peacock along with his consorts. A peculiar system prevalent here is the offering a tobacco cigar to the deity during the night worship. A fine peacock sanctuary has been developed at this place. Buses are available from the city. Viralimalai Murugan Koil in one of the important temple in Tirchy.
Thirukadambathurai in Tiruchi
Thirukadambathurai is about 38km from Tiruchirappali Tamil Nadu. It is popularly known as Kadambar kovil, the small village on the banks of river Cauvery has an ancient Shiva temple dedicated to Kadamba Vaneshwarar with consort called Bala Kunjambika. Tradition says that the place was originally the hermitage of sage Kanca with a number of Kadamba trees. It is believed that Lord Sundareshwarar and goddess Meenakshi stayed here for some time after their wedding. As such, this tample stands on equal status with the Meenakshi Koil at Madurai.
Tirverumbur is about 12km from Tiruchirappali Tamil Nadu. An old village not far from the city, famous for its ancient Shiva Koil dedicated to Erumbeshwarar dating earlier to 9th century. The deity has been called by various names such as Mahadeva, Aditya Bhattaraka and Tiruvembiyur Alwar. One inscriptions states that Pippilikas (ants) worshipped this deity. the shrine is on a small hillock easily approachable by road. Tirverumbur is one of important city in Trichi.
Tiruverumpur or Erumbeeswarar Temple
Erumbeeswarar Temple is called by many names like Thiruverumpur, Brahmapuram, Lakshmipuram, Madhuvanapuram, Rathanakoodam, Manikoodam, Kumarapuram, South Kailayam, Pippaleswaram, 11 kilometers east of Tiruchi.
Place of worship of Tirumalum, Brahma and Naimisaranya Rishis. This place got its name from Erumbeeswarar, where Indra and Devas were worshiped in the form of an ant. Lord Erumbir, Amman Narunkuzal Naiki. The temple is 120 feet high and is situated on a hill with 125 steps. Lord Erumbir is slightly leaning towards the north side.
The original lingam is covered with mud (Ant hill) so it is protected with water. This place is called Erumbiyur because the gods worshiped in the form of ants. The Vinayagar of this place is Balachandra Vinayagar. The Shiva lingam is covered with marks of ants crawling on it. Ambal is consecrated as a separate shrine outside the temple. Thirukolam standing towards south. This the place where Tirunavukkarasar sung the pathigam.
Ratnagiri (The Ruby Hill)
Ratnagiri (The Ruby Hill) is about 35km from Tiruchi. The bare concial rock which abruptly rises the village Kulittalai has an ancient tample of Shiva dedicated to Ratnagirishwarar. The hill is also known as Manikka Malai and Vatapokki Malai, which rise to a height of about 400m. The tample on the summit can be approached by a flight of 952 steps of finely cut stone. The shrine is held in great reverence as Appar visited this place and extolled the deity by singing Tiruppadigam. At the bottom of the hillock is a beautiful tank called Panchakshara Tirtha. The hill is a popular picnic resort for trekking in Tiruchi.
Prasanna Venkatasalapathi Temple Thuraiyur Perumal Malai in Tiruchi
Perumal Malai is about 36km from Tiruchi. Arulmigu Prasanna Venkatachalapathi Temple lies at the top of Perumalmalai that lies 960 feet above ground level in Pachaimalai hills, This temple is said to be constructed by the grandson of Karikal Cholan. The kings are later named as Kauppannar and Veeraswamy. They are worshipped in the temple. Musical pillars are seen here. The stone sculptures of ten avathars of Lord Vishnu are here. The Goddess here is named as Alamelumangai Thayar. It is about 3km from Thuraiyur in Tiruchirappalli district. This Vaishnava tample belongs to the 16th century constructed by the Nayaka kings. The tample can be reached by climbing the 1532 steps from the foot of the hill. A motorable ghat road has also been laid to the top. In the Koil, the Dashavatharam Mandapam is the most beautiful hall containing magnificent sculpture of all the ten incarnations of Maha Vishnu in life size figures. There is a rare set of 32 musical pillars which emit different notes when gently tapped. This is the largest collection of such musical pillars in this part of the country. From the hill top, a beautiful view of the surrounding hills and the enchanting plains below can be seen. All the Saturdays of Tamil Month of Puratasi are celebrated in a grand manner. During this time more number of pilgrims are visiting this temple. Lot of devotees are taking part in the Girivalam procession around the Perumalmalai hillock on all the full moon days.
Ramakrishna Mutt Thirupparaithuri
Ramakrishna Mutt at Thirupparaithuri has been started during 1949. Ramaswamy Adikal has opened it. The primary school for the orphan and later upgraded as High school in 1950. Boys who is not having parents are admitted here. Gurukulam method is practiced. Any time of the year, from 1 std to 8 std admission is being made. Poor and down trodden children are given free food and shelter with good education. Imperative training in technical skills, making garland are also included. The philosophy of Ramakrishna and his disciple Vivekananda are projected here.
Tiruppalathurai is located 12 kilometers north of Tiruchi. The auspicious Thirumulanathar temple is located in between the Kollidam River. Lord Thirumulanathar, Amman Nithiyakalyani. Markandeyarand and Sun worshiped here. There are shrines of Ganesha, Murugan, Mahalakshmi and Durga. The Goddess is depicted with four Thirukarams (Abhaya, Varada, Tamarai, Neelolpalam). By worshiping this goddess, the longing for childbirth will also be removed. The place where Sambandar received the Padhigam.
Thiruvallarai is about 26km from Tiruchirappali. A small village famous for the magnificent 9th century old cave temples of jambunathar and Pundarikaksha Perumal. In the inscriptions, the place has been named as Swethagiri. The name is derived due to the shining white outcrop of granite from the hillock. It is said that Sri Ramanujacharya came from Srirangam to this calm and quiet place to write and codfy the entire arrangements of worship in Vaishnava temples. He spent a retreat of three years at the Pundarikasha Perumal temple. The Swastika shaped Pushkarini at bottom of the hills is a unique piece of architecture.
Thiruvellarai Sri Pandareeksha Perumal Temple
Sri Pandareeksha Perumal Temple at Thiruvellarai is about 23km from Tiruchirappalli town. It is an ancient and foremost of the 108 Divyadesams sanctified by the songs rendered by Azhwars Mangalasasanam has been made to this shrine by Periazhwar and Thirumangai Azhwar.
Gunaseelam is about 24km from Tiruchi. It is on the North bank of Cauvery River. In Tiruchirapalli-Musuri Road. There is a vishnu temple and the name of the God is Lord Prassana Venkateshwarar, Gunaseelam Tample is a place for worship, festivals and also for mental relief or alleviation.
Anbil Nambi Perumal Temple
Anbil is located at a distance of 7.9 kilometers from Lalgudi. The Nambi Perumal Temple is located on the north bank of the Kollidam River and is facing East in the Perumal Bhujanga Sayanam. Mother Ajjayavalli Nachiyar is seen in a separate shrine. Utsawar Srisundararajan.
Sage Manduka did penance by plunging into the water, but when Sage Durvasa came, he did not notice it, so Durvasa cursed him to become a frog. After that, Sage Manduka realized his mistake and asked Durvasar to remove the curse and told Sage Manduka to come to this place and do penance to the Lord. He also got rid of the curse by the grace of Perumal.
Koranganatha Temple, Srinivasanallur
Koranganatha temple is situated on the banks of the river Cauvery at Srinivasanallur about 50km from Tirchy. It is on the Tirchy Salem Highway. He has some of the finest early Chola stone sculptures and with good architecture. These heritage tample is declared as a monument by ASI.
Kudumiyan Malai Temple Information
Kudumiyan Malai is about 70km from Tiruchirappalli Tamil Nadu. This Shivan Koil is dedicated to Kudiminatha popularly known as Shikagrinatha. The rock walls of the tample have carving of Shiva, Parati, Nadi and the Shaiva saints, all in the form of a frieze.
Uyankondan Thirumalai is about 3 km west of Tiruchirappalli Tamil Nadu. The temple is situated on a small hill 50 feet high.
Lourdes church is located near to Rock-fort Teppakulam Church of our Lady Lourdes is a replica of the Basilica of Lourdes, the world famous place of pilgrimage in Southern France.
Erakudi Sirunavallur Granaray
There is an ancient granary in this village. This was built for emergency storage during the Nawab of Arcot period. This stacco granary has lot of fine sculptures.
Pullancholai is about 72 km from Thiruchi. It is a place of scenic beauty. This forest area is cool and green with the added attraction of water falls and stream. Pullancholai is best picnic spot in Tamil Nadu.
Oomaiyan Kottai was built by the king Sethupathi of Ramanathapuram in the year 1687. British imprisoned the capture rebels in this place. This Shiva temple has some inscriptions of music. The Vishnu temple has two shrines. The lord of here is in a reclining posture. This place is very remarkable because it is the largest of its kind in the country. The idols have very beautiful carvings. It depicts Vishnu and the serpent Adhisesha. He is chasing away Rakshasas by spewing fire and poison.
Pachamalai Hill Station
Pachamalai is a green hill range. It is about 80km from the north of Trichirappalli via Thuraiyur. The word pachai means green and malai means mountain. It is spread with a few ranges of a heaven of the tribal of this region. The unique and way of life. It’s altitude is 500m to 1000 above sea level. Pachamalai mountain region has small regions like then Para Nadu, Kombainadu, Athi nadu and Vannadu. It is a good hill range for trekking to enjoy nature and the animal life. Small streams and falls add colour to these hills. Pachamalai is an important tourist place in India.
Ponaiyaru Dam is situated in the South of Tiruchirappalli Tamil Nadu. It is about 24km from Manapparai and 9km from Vaiyampatti. Ponnaiyaru dam is built across perumal malai and chemmalai. This dam site is an ideal place for excursion. Short Treks in the nearby hillock Environment camps – Nature cure centers, Fishing, Forest Rest house available.
How to Reach Trichy Tamil Nadu
Tiruchirappali is connected by air, rail and road, which connect to many parts of the country. State buses and private vans operate to most of the tourist places regularly. Excellent lodging facilities are available in the city. Taxi and autorickshaws can be hired for local transport.
Frequently Asked Question in Tiruchirappali
If you want ask question Contact this Mail Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Trichy City in which state of India?
Trichy District is in state of Tamil Nadu India.
Tiruchirappalli Area : 5114 sq. km
Tiruchi Population : 27,13,858 (Census 2011)
Rainfall : 746.8 mm (Annual)
Climate Over all Average : Max 37.2 °C Min 20.6°C
Std Code : 0431
Tiruchirappali to Chennai : 316 km
Passport Enquery : 0431-2707011
Airport Enquery: 0431-2340020
Railway Enquery: 0431-2410138
Bus Enquery: 0431-2460992, 2460607
Electricty Failure: 0431-2764624
Tourist Information: 0431-2460136